There are currently 27 million American with Hypo- (low) thyroidism, mostly female, and nearly half are undiagnosed.
The majority (90%) of adult hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis or Hashimoto’s Disease. This is an Auto Immune process, inflammatory in nature, where the body’s immune system is attacking its own thyroid. It will begin with acute thyroiditis (due to thyroid cells that are destroyed releasing T4 thyroid hormone into the blood) that eventually leads to hypothyroidism (not enough production of T4).
It is estimated that 1 in 10 adults in the US has this common autoimmune condition. Toxic chemical in the environment, medications, ionizing radiation (dental x rays, scanner, Fukishima, medical x rays, etc..) create altered immune function and dysfunction in the gut flora. 70% of the body’s immune function/tissue resides in the digestive system (gut associated lymphatic tissue).
Gluten & Gliaden found in wheat products have been shown to create inflammation and dysbiosis (altered gut response) which can cause large amounts of foreign protein (gluten & gliaden) to enter the blood and activate galt(gut activated lymphatic tissue) , creating an allergen reaction. This is a key factor in the autoimmune response in Hashimoto’s process.
This is a very cursory article to broadly explain the cascade of the effects leading to the outcome of symptoms in Hashimoto’s.
What you can do:
1. Abstain from all gluten/wheat/gliaden products
2. Take a good probiotic, I recommend Alkadophilus
3. Take good digestive enzymes, I suggest Alka Pan & Super Digest
4. Support the immune system/ liver-(consult a Dr. to check)
5. Stabilize blood sugars- see www.docschallenge.com
6. Herbs- coleus forskohlii, resveratrol (grape seed extract), curcumin
7. Neutralize all negative emotions that effect thyroid & associated organs in Eastern Healthcare ie depression, regret, impatience, grief, pride, rage, low self esteem, resentment, emotionally going numb.
8. Alkalize to normalize & to decrease inflammation, I suggest Alka Green, Trace Minerals & Alka Omega.
In Health & Service,
Dr. Roland F. Phillips BA, BS, D.C.